Cabbage curry and Fish Head are popularly known as ‘Bandhakobi Macha Munda Chencheda‘ or ‘Bandhakobi Machha Munda Ghanta’ is a famous Odia Authentic Recipe. This cabbage fish head curry can also be made using Chana Dal, Mix vegetables & Cabbage. It is best when paired with simple Rice & Dal.
This recipe is very delicious and made by mixing fried fish head and cabbage complemented by some evergreen Indian spices. It is easy to make, just follow the steps given below. Cabbage curry with the fish head is an authentic and one of a kind dish mostly cooked and enjoyed in Odisha.
The fish head is used in many Indian cuisines. Fish head-brains, cartilage, and fat-are nutritious, containing extra-high levels of vitamin A, omega-3 fatty acids, iron, zinc, and calcium. Cabbage on the other hand seems to raise levels of beta-carotene, lutein, and other heart-protective antioxidants; and is the key ingredient of many Indian dishes.
This recipe can be made with any Fish head but most people prefer Rohu/Rohi fish head. It is best when served with steamed rice and any dal (pulses), but can also act as a perfect side dish for Roti or Paratha.
FAQs On Cabbage Curry Recipe
Any standard size commonly eaten Fish head can be used for this recipe but, it tastes best with Rohi/Rohu, Catla fish head.
When the ginger garlic paste will perfectly cook for the next process; 1. the color of the mixture will change into a darker shade, 2. the raw smell of ginger and garlic will be gone, and 3. the mixture will start leaving oil- the exact oil it soaked when it was put into it. Also, the oil helps the mixture from sticking to the wok especially if using an iron one.
Cabbage Curry Recipe With Fish HeadCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Cabbage curry and Fish Head are popularly known as ‘Bandhakobi Macha Munda Chencheda’ or ‘Bandhakobi Machha Munda Ghanta’ is a famous Odia Authentic Recipe.
Fish head- 500 gms
Cabbage- 500 gms
Onion- 1 large
Tomato- 1 large
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Mustard oil as need
Potato (diced)- 1 big
Bay leaf- 1
Cumin seed- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Kashmiri red mirch powder- 1 tbsp
Curry powder- 1 tsp
Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder- 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
Coriander leaves few
- First cut the cabbage finely, wash it and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, shallow fry the fish heads in oil till it looks brown in color. After done keep it aside.
- Now in the same kadhai, add oil, when oil becomes hot, add cumin seeds, when it Strats crackle put onions and fry it till golden in color.
- Now add tomato, ginger garlic paste into it, then add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder, curry powder, coriander powder and garam masala into it and fry it till oil separates from the masala .
- Now add the fish heads and potatoes and fry it for sometime.
- Then add the cabbage, mix with masala properly, add salt as per taste then cover it, and cook it for 30 minutes till the cabbage leaving the sides of the pan.
- Check-in between, cover, and cook again.
- Now switch off the flame, cabbage with the fish head is ready to serve hot. Garnish with some coriander leaves on the top.
- Blanche the cabbage and potato in boiling water, drain and dry them before proceeding with further steps for better results.