Chicken cafreal is a Portuguese adopted recipe that was brought into Goa with few changes. This recipe is now popularly prepared in Goa. It is actually a chicken gravy recipe prepared in Goan style consisting of chicken and spicy masala gravy.
Portuguese style chicken and the sauce it is marinated a lot like the famous peri peri sauce. This is one of the iconic chicken dishes of Goa. The preparation originated from the Portuguese colonies. Chicken cafreal is usually accompanied by potato wedges and lime wedges.
It is a popular dish in restaurants and taverns of the taste but this recipe outstands with modification to the origin with a different infusion. Beloved to Goa on the Konkan coast of India is the iconic chicken cafreal not much has been documented about this recipe made with whole roasted and ground spices like black pepper, cloves, cumin seeds, cinnamon, green chilies, ginger, garlic, and coriander.
It is next to the tandoori chicken of Goa. No festive occasion is complete without chicken cafreal on the menu of Goa. It is basically made with green ingredients like fresh coriander, green chillies, and spices. For this recipe, you need a large piece of chicken or leg pieces that are the best bet to make chicken cafreal.
You can have it in the form of curry too, adjust the liquid as required, and enjoy it with pulao or bread instead.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing the recipe below.
Chicken CafrealCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Chicken cafreal is a Portuguese adopted recipe that was brought into Goa with few changes. This recipe is now popularly prepared in Goa.
Chicken- 750 gms
Fresh. Coriander- 2 cups
Green chillies- 10 nos
Cinnamon- 1 inch
Black pepper- 1 tbsp
Cloves- 5 nos
Bay leaf- 1 no
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Ginger- 1 inch
Garlic- 7 – 8 nos’
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Salt aa required
Oil cor shallow fry
- For potatoes frying
Large potato- 2 nos
Salt as required
Oil for shallow frying
- For garnish
Slit red chillies
- Take a grinding jar, add coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, cumin seeds, black pepper, bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, green chillies into it and grind it into a fine paste.
- In a bowl add salt and turmeric powder to the chicken along with the green spicy mix.
- Mix it well and make sure you coat the chi ken well with the spicy mix.
- Marinate the chicken for minimum 1 hours or you can keep overnight also.
- Then heat oil in a pan and place the chicken pieces, in between turn the sides to cook properly.
- Then fry the chicken in bathes.
- Use the spicy mix water and add it into the chicken. Cover the pan and cook it for 20 minutes.
- In another pan, heat oil to cook the slice potatoes.
- Add salt to the potatoes and cook them well. Also keep turning the sides of the potatoes, so as to cook it from all sides.
- Then let potatoes get the golden brown colour on both sides.
- Now switch off the gas, chicken cafreal is ready to serve hot with shallow fried potatoes.
Try another chicken appetizer recipe (Chicken Lollipop).