Chettinad Chicken recipe is a delicious, hot, and spicy dry chicken recipe cooked in aromatic spices blend of a Chettinad dishes. This is a great feast for all the spice lovers. It is an excellent chicken gravy recipe because of the addition of Chettinad masala which adds a lot of flavor to the recipe.
Roasting the dry spices and later grinding them releases all the aroma from the spices which go to the chicken pieces. And you would really love to have it with chapati, biryani, naan or pulao.
Chettinad chicken is a spicy chicken from Tamil Nadu, chicken Chettinad also popularly known as Chettinad Milagu, Kozhi Varuval in Tamil Nadu. It is a delicious curry recipe from Chettinad cuisine. Some of the other popular Chettinad dishes are Poriyal, Kuzambu.
Most of the dishes are eaten with rice, dosa, appam, idiyappam, adai, and idlis. This cuisine has served variations of fish, mutton, and chicken dishes of which the Chettinad chicken is a specialty.
To make this delicious and spicy Chettinad chicken recipe is a simple and easy method at your home and share your experience with us. Moreover, you should always try to get medium size chicken pieces for this recipe. So, I am sharing the recipe below.
Chicken Chettinad RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: SouthernDifficulty: Medium
Chicken Chettinad recipe is a delicious, hot, and spicy dry chicken recipe cooked in aromatic spices blend of a Chettinad dishes. This is a great feast for all the spice lovers.
- For Marination
Chicken- 1 kg
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
Salt as required
- For gravy masala
Onion- 3 big
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Tomato puree- 3 pc big
Grated coconut – 1/4 cup
bay leaves- 2
Coriander seeds- 2tbsp
Red Chili- 6nos
Black pepper- 1 tsp
Cumin seeds- 1tbsp
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Green cardamom- 1pc
Clove- – 4 – 5
Tamarind paste- 1 tbsp
- First, take a large bowl and add the washed chicken, lemon juice, Turmeric powder, Chilli powder and salt. Then mix it well and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- For Chettinad masala
- Take a pan, heat oil then add coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, and green cardamom. And fry it for 1 – 2 minutes. Then add bay leaves, ginger, garlic, red chillies, grated coconut and roast it till deep brown in colour.
- Transfer these spices on a plate so that it would cool down. After everything have cooled down then transfer them into a mixer and add tamarind paste and water. Grind everything to make a smooth paste.
- Now heat a kadhai (frying pan), put oil to it. After oil becames hot, add the sambar onions and curry leaves then fry it on medium flame until onions are turns in golden brown. Later add ginger garlic paste and fry it for 5 minutes. After that add tomato puree into them and fry it till tomato will be cook properly.
- Now add the marinated chicken and turn the flame high and fry it for 5 minutes. After that add the grinded Chettinad masala paste and cook it for sometime. Then add water and salt as per taste mix it well and cover it up.Then let it boil till chicken will be well cooked.
- After 15 – 20 minutes switch of the flame. Now your spicy chicken Chettinad is ready to be served hot with rice, biriyani or chapati.
Enjoy your delicious Chicken Chettinad curry and do let me know your experience in comments.
If you like chicken items, you could also try out more chicken recipes available here.