Chicken dum biryani is the king of all biriyani recipes. Biriyani is not just a food, it is an emotion. Biriyani is very special to me and very close to my heart. It is my favorite dish ever. The dish that I am sharing today, is a very delicious recipe. And the steps are also not that difficult to follow.
This recipe is a very lengthy process but at the same time is the easiest among other biriyani recipes. Once you understand it then you can master the art of making biriyani of any kind be it a chicken biryani, mutton biriyani, or veg biriyani. This recipe is a slow cooking process. The cooking process is actually very essential to bring the perfect flavors out of dum biriyani.
Chicken dum biryani is a famous dish all over India. It is made using chicken which is marinated then cooked and later added to the cooked rice and again cooked under dum. A delicious dum biriyani is perfect to prepare for lunch or a dinner party and savored with all your heart.
In this recipe, I will share how to cook the dish on dum, which means cooking slowly steadily on low flame. I will be sharing with you how to make dum biriyani at home using an aluminum vessel and a tawa. However, dum is given on fire charcoal normally. Cooking a tasty mouthwatering chicken dum biryani is a quite lengthy process and this recipe is perfect for home preparation.
I personally recommend you to try this. Do follow the recipe and enjoy the authentic real chicken dum biryani taste and share your experience with me. So I am sharing the recipe below.
Chicken Dum BiryaniCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Difficult
Chicken dum biryani is the king of all biriyani recipes. Biriyani is not just a food, it is an emotion.
- For Marination
Chicken (large pieces) – 1 kg
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Yogurt – 2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
Red chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Green chilli – 5 nos
Chopped mint leaves – 1 cup
chopped coriander – 1 cup
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic – 9/10 cloves
Chicken masala powder – 2 tbsp
Biryani masala powder – 2 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- For Fried Onions
Onion – 4 big
- For cooking rice
Basmati rice – 500gms
Whole spices (bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, salt and ghee)
- For cooking chicken
Onion – 4 big
Oil – 6 tbsp
Tomato – 2 big
How TO make chicken dum biryani
- For marination
- Get a bowl. Add lemon juice, yogurt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, biriyani masala powder and salt. Mix it properly.
- Then we will make paste for marination. In a mixer jar, put ginger, garlic, mint leaves, coriander leaves, green chilli and some water and grind them and make a smooth paste.
- After that add the paste to the chicken. Then everything mix it properly and keep it aside for at least an 1 hour.
- For fried onion
- Now take a wide pan, pour some oil and add the sliced thin onions.
- Fry them till they are nice golden brown in colour. And keep the fried onions aside.
- To cook the rice
- Take basmati rice in a bowl. Pour water into it and soak in water for 30 minutes.
- Then take a pot of water and boil it. Add the whole spices like bay leaf, star anise, cinnamon, black pepper, cloves, cardamom, ghee and salt into the water.
- Add the soaked rice into the water and cook it till the rice is about 30 percent done.
- Now strain the water before the rice is completely cooked. The rice is half cooked at this point.
- For cooking the chicken
- We will now cook the chicken half then it will be more soft when we will give the dum.
- Heat a kadhai. Put oil into it. When oil becomes hot then add the chopped onion and fry it till it looks golden brown, then add the chopped tomato, and again fry it for sometime.
- After that, add the marinated chicken into it. And cook it till chicken is half cooked. Keep the half cooked chicken aside.
- For Dum
- Take a tawa and put it on the low flame for a minute. Then take an aluminium vessel and put it on top of the tawa. Now, add the half cooked chicken to the aluminium vessel.
- Then add the half cooked rice on top of the chicken in the aluminium vessel. Add mint leaves, fried onions and little bit food colour (it’s optional otherwise you could put some saffron) on the top. Also add 1 tbsp ghee on the top.
- Cover the pot with a lid and seal it (either with dough made of wheat flour or with foil paper), to make sure the steam doesn’t go out.
- Let it cook for 30 – 40 minutes in low flame.
- Now remove it from heat. The Chicken dum biryani is now ready. Serve hot with raita.
If you liked the biryani dish, try out some chicken dish recipes as well. Click here to see the other chicken dish recipes.
NOTE: Biriyani or Biryani, the debate still continues. However, we chose to write it as biriyani over biryani because we found some majority. Read more over here.