The chicken kathi roll was born in Kolkata. Succulent pieces of chicken marinated in spices are cooked and served with slice onions and ketchup, all wrapped in a flaky, paratha. So, every component has to be perfected for it to really stand out. In this recipe I will make chicken kabab in a nonstick pan. Once you get the kabab and the paratha, you can play around with the filling according to your taste.
Actually chicken kathi roll was on my list from a long time and finally here it is. Chicken kathi roll is a great way to enjoy delicious Indian street food flavours at home. Made with juicy chicken marinated in creamy yogurt and spices, then rolled up. Every bite in these kathi roll is packed with lip smacking flavours.
Kathi roll is a type of street food that originated at Nizam’s a popular eatery located in New market, Kolkata, in West Bengal, India. The word kati literally means “skewer”. Originally , kathi roll was invented as an on the go option for patrons to enjoy their succulent skewer- roasted kabab of meat and vegetables, wrapped in a paratha. Kathi roll were originally made with red meat, but are now also made with chicken and vegetarian variations.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing this recipe below.
Chicken Kati Roll RecipeCourse: SnacksCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
The chicken kathi roll was born in Kolkata. Succulent pieces of chicken marinated in spices are cooked and served with slice onions and ketchup, all wrapped in a flaky, paratha.
- For chicken kabab
Small boneless chicken- 500 gms
Curd- 1 cup
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste- 1 tbsp
Lemon juice- 1 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red food colour- a pinch of (its optional)
Chicken masala powder- 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
- For tossing
Sliced onion- 2 large
Sliced capsicum- 1 large
Oil as need
Szechwan sauce- 2 tbsp
Tomato sauce- 1 tbsp
- For egg paratha
Maida- 2 cups
Salt as need
Oil- 2 tbsp
Warm water as required
Eggs- 4 nos
- For stuffing
Tomato ketch up
Green chilli sauce
- In a mixing bowl, add the refined flour, salt and oil and lightly mixed and make sure the flour is combined well with other ingredients, now add warm water as required to knead a smooth dough.
- When dough is smooth, apply oil over the dough to prevent if from drying, cover it and rest for at 30 minutes.
- For chicken tikka
- First wash the boneless chicken well with fresh water and cut them in thin small pieces.
- Prepare the marinade, take a mixing bowl, add chicken, red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice, chicken masala powder, turmeric powder, red food colour and salt to taste, mix properly and keep it aside for 30 minutes at least.
- After that heat oil in a nonstick pan, fry the chicken till it will be soften and keep it aside. Chicken kabab is ready.
- For tossing
- Heat oil in a pan, then add sliced onions, capsicum, Szechwan sauce and tomato sauce and fry it for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Now add chicken tikkas into the pan and toss it for 4 to 5 minutes, add little bit salt into them.
- Now the chicken kathi kabab filling is ready.
- To make egg paratha
- Divide the dough in equal size dough balls.
- You can prepare all the dough balls at once and use it later while making the kathi roll. Make sure to apply oil over the dough balls to keep them soft.
- To make egg paratha, first roll the oil applied dough ball in a thick paratha.
- Further, set a pan or tawa on medium heat, and cook the rolled paratha from both the sides until brown spots appear, press the paratha gently with spatula while cooking.
- Add oil and cook the paratha from both the sides until crisp. Low down the heat, break one egg in a separate bowl and add salt to taste, whisk well and pour over the paratha, flip the paratha and cook until the egg is cooked.
- Now egg paratha is ready.
- For stuffing
- Add a portion of the prepared chicken mixture in the centre. Sprinkle onion slices and add some mayonnaise, tomato sauce, green chilli sauce on the top and tightly roll into a butter paper.
- Now chicken kathi roll is ready to serve with tomato sauce.