Goan fish curry – is an authentic curry recipe prepared using coconut, chilies and masalas and any kin d of fish. It is a flavorful recipe that tastes best when paired with steam rice and Jeera Rice. It is one of the favorite recipe of my husband. It goes well with rice or naan. The healthy Goan fish curry, made with easily accessible ingredients, is bright, fascinating to the eyes, fulfilling to the tummy.
This famous recipe comes to you from Goa, a little pocket of Indian paradise that’s all about the sun, surf, sand and excellent seafood. Deeply aromatic tomato and coconut-based sauce, there is a good handful of spices in this but once you start cooking, it’s done in 30 minutes. I have made another recipe (Chicken Cafreal), which is also very popular in GOA.
History Of Goan Fish Curry
A delicious dish that’s way better than take out. India has a large stretch of coastline and so fish is common in the cuisines of these areas. There are definite regional variations in the flavor used, although some spices are common, as is coconut milk.
- Coconut milk or freshly grated coconut
- A range of common curry spices
- Something to give a distinct slight sourness, usually from tamarind
Part of this hot and sour flavor comes from incorporating Portuguese influences into the more typical Indian flavors. Goa has a diverse history with a good 450 years under Portuguese rule, which has influenced the flavors of the region’s cuisine.
This curry is a little spicy for the kids, but they will like it. Here I have used Basa fish, you can use salmon, king fish, bangda fish too. It is full of wonderful spiced flavor, in a creamy coconut sauce with a slight tangy from the tamarind. This Goan fish curry is so much better both flavor wise and it’s healthier.
Some FAQs on Goan Fish Curry.
It is made with coconut milk, a range of good spices (red chilies, Black pepper, Coriander seeds, etc) which makes the curry very delicious.
For Goan fish curry, below-mentioned fish are good to use.
* basa (I am using this fish)
* cod (all types)
* Spanish mackerel
1. Goan Fish Curry
4. Prawns Orly
5. Goan Sausages Etc.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing the recipe below.
Goan Fish Curry RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Goan fish curry – is an authentic curry recipe prepared using coconut, chilies and masalas and any kin d of fish. It is a flavorful recipe that tastes best when paired with steam rice and Jeera Rice.
Fish- 750 gms
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Ginger- 1 inch
Garlic- 5 – 6 cloves
Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Salt as per taste
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Coriander seeds- 2 tbsp
Chopped onions- 2 medium
Ready made coconut milk- 1 pkt
Tamarind pulp- 2 tbsp
Dried red chilies- 5 nos
Black pepper- 1 tsp
Curry leaves few
Oil as need
Coriander leaves few for garnishing
HOW TO MAKE GOAN FISH CURRY
- First take a bowl, marinate the fish with some turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. keep it aside for 15 minutes.
- Now heat a pan on medium flame, add dried red chilies, cumin seed, and black pepper and saute it for 2 minutes until it releases aroma. Keep aside.
- Now in the same pan add some oil, when oil becomes hot add chopped onions and fry it until golden brown.
- Then in a mixer jar, add ginger, garlic, dried red chilies, cumin seeds, black pepper, Coriander seeds and the fried onion into it. Then make a smooth paste.
- Heat a kadhai on medium flame, add oil, when oil becomes hot add the paste and fry it until paste releases oil.
- Then add the coconut milk into the masala and some curry leaves, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and tamarind pulp and salt as per taste into it.
- Add hot water to make thick gravy.
- Once the gravy comes to boil, add fish pieces and let fish cook into gravy for 15 minutes in slow flame.
- Now switch off the flame, Goan fish curry is ready. Garnish with some coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.
- Choose Boneless Fish for better taste.