Manda Pitha Recipe – In Odisha, there are numerous pithas or sweet cakes are prepared at every festival. This sweet and salty recipe is one of them which is very popular in Odisha. This recipe can be instantly prepared with rice flour. You will be surprised to find the variety of pithas the Odia family does in all festivals of Odisha.
This super soft and smooth Manda pitha, outer covering is made with steamed rice flour and jaggery mixed coconut for the filling. This Manda pitha recipe can be made with simple ingredients. It completely satiated your sweet tooth.
Manda Pitha Process
Manda pitha making process is so easy, only you have to follow the right technique and the dough of the Manda pitha should be perfect. If you get the dough perfectly then it will be easier to get the perfect Manda pitha.
Manda pitha can be done with different fillings that may be sweet or savory filling. Odia people love to eat it as breakfast. But you can have Manda pitha any time of the day, it may be breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I would suggest you make this recipe at weekends to enjoy the fullest.
Some FAQs on Manda Pitha
The origin of Manda pitha is from Odisha, The name “Manda” meaning in Odia is (ମଣ୍ଡେଇବା) it means ‘to place’ or ‘to dump’.
Yes, the deep fried Manda pitha is made with semolina and stuffed with coconut. That is called ‘suji manda’.
Manda Pitha RecipeCourse: BreakfastCuisine: Odisha, IndianDifficulty: Medium
Manda Pitha Recipe – In Odisha, there are numerous pithas or sweet cakes are prepared at every festival. This sweet and salty recipe is one of them which is very popular in Odisha.
- For dough
Rice flour- 2 cup
Water as need
Salt as per taste
Ghee- 1/2 tsp
- For stuffing
Grated coconut- 1 cup
Jaggery powder- 1/2cup
Grated ginger- 1 tsp
Green cardamom- 2. nos
Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
How to make manda pitha
- For making stuffing
- First heat a pan, add jaggery, after melting jaggery add coconut and stir fry. Then add cardamom powder and pepper powder then mix well and fry it till becomes dry. After done keep it side.
- For dough making
- Heat water in a large kadhai on medium flame, when the water boils starts, add rice flour in small batches mix continuously y so that no lumps formed.
- Stir the mixture on a low flame for about 5 to 7 minutes till it takes on a soften consistency that the dough used for make small rotis.
- Switch off the flame at this stage. Allow the dough to cool down a few minutes is tolerable.
- Rub ghee or oil all over your hands and kneed the dough for 5 minutes to make it.
- for dumpling making
- Now rub. some more oil over your hands. Break small balls out of the dough and flatten it and stuff the coconut mixture. Cover it and make a round shape. Keep aside.
- For steam
- Now grease the idli mold with oil. Place the balls over it and close the lid then steam it for 15 minutes. Allow standing with covered for 5 minutes.
- After done switch off the flame. Manda pitha is ready.
- Do not add more water while making the dough.
- Do not add salt to the dough.