Chicken ghee roast is a popular Mangalorean dish and is an absolute delight to eat. I will be explaining the Mangalorean chicken ghee roast recipe in this post. In South, people love to eat it with Neer Dosa or Appam since it makes an awesome meal together. The chicken ghee roast originated in a small town called Kundapur which is near to Mangalore.
The flavours of ghee, tangy and too much spiciness is very popular in entire South India. While making this dish make sure that to use only Kashmiri red Chillies, which gives an exotic colour to the dish. It’s basically a Shetty’s style of making a chicken roast in ghee mixed with masala made of whole spices.
A classic Mangalorean style ghee roast chicken is a traditional recipe from the kitchen of Mangalorean households. It is the combination of succulent pieces of chicken marinated and cooked in a chettinad masala cooked in ghee. The recipe will literally leave everyone asking for more.
The ghee roast chicken recipe will leave you drooling while you read the recipe. The dry roasted spices soak into the aromatic masala coated chicken pieces that are cooked in ghee. And it will come out with a rich and classy flavor. If you like more spicy then you can increase the number of red chillies accordingly.
It is one of the best starters and even the main course dish in most of the party events. And you can have it with Rice, Roti, Chapati, Naan, Appam or Neer Dosa. Chicken ghee roast is one of the most favorite dishes of my husband as well.
He just loves the dish too much. So you also try the recipe at your home. And am sure you and your family will love the dish because of the taste and flavors. I am sharing the recipe below.
Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Chicken ghee roast is a popular Mangalorean dish and is an absolute delight to eat. I will be explaining the Mangalorean chicken ghee roast recipe in this post. In South, people love to eat it with Neer Dosa or Appam since it makes an awesome meal together.
Chicken- 1 kg
Lemon juice- 1 Lemon
Yogurt- half bowl
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
- The other ingredients
Chopped onion- 2 big
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tablespoons
Tomato puree- 3 big
Ghee- 1 cup
Jaggery- 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder- 2 tsp
Red Chilli powder- 2 tsp
- Roasted masala paste
Dry Red chillies- 10 – 15 (you can use Kashmiri Red Chilli powder)
Black pepper- 2 tsp
Coriander seeds- 2tsp
Cumin seeds- 3tsp
Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
Garlic cloves- 7 – 8
Fennel seeds- 1 tsp
Tamarind paste- 1 tablespoon
- Take a bowl and add curd, turmeric powder, and lemon juice. Mix it well. Then add the washed chicken pieces in that mixture and keep it for at least 1 hour in fridge.
- Ghee roast masala
- Heat a pan and add Red Chillies, Fenugreek seeds, Coriander seeds, Cumin seeds, Black pepper, Fennel seeds, Cinnamon, and Cardamom to the pan. And roast them in a medium flame. Once the spices are cool, put them into a mixer jar along with garlic cloves and tamarind paste with a tablespoon water. Then make a smooth paste. And keep it aside.
- Ghee roast chicken
- Heat a pan and add ghee. When the ghee becomes hot, add some curry leaves, chopped onions and fry it till it turns golden brown. Then add ginger garlic paste and sauté it for one minutes.
- Then add Tomato puree into it and mix it well and stir fry for 5 minutes. Add 3 teaspoons of Red chilli powder, Turmeric powder and fry it again and cook it on a medium flame until ghee separates from masala. Then add another spoon of ghee.
- Now, add the marinated chicken pieces to the masala and fry it for another 5 minutes. After that add the grinded masala paste that you have already prepared to the chicken. Then cook it for some more time. Cover it and keep checking it in between so that the masala will not stick to the pan.
- Lastly, add jaggery, salt as per taste and mix well. Once the jaggery has melted, mix well and check for seasoning. Add more curry leaves to the dish to add more flavour. Then switch off the flame and your tasty Mangalorean Chicken Ghee Roast is now ready to be served.
Hope you enjoyed your meal. Do let me know about your experience with the Mangalorean chicken ghee roast recipe in the comments.
If you liked this recipe then check out my other non-vegetarian recipes here.