Matar Mushroom, a creamy and spicy curry or North Indian gravy recipe prepared mainly with green peas and mushrooms. The curry gets its flavor and richness from its tomato and onion based sauce tossed in a cashew paste. It is an ideal side dish to roti/ chapati and jeera rice or plain rice.
Well, there are several north Indian or Punjabi curries that share the same base of creamy and spicy tomato onion base. Matar mushroom recipe is one such recipe that actually forks out from the popular matar paneer recipe where paneer replaced button mushrooms.
In Indian cuisine, we make a lot of dishes with green peas especially during the winters when fresh peas are in season.
About Matar Mushroom Recipe
Matar mushroom is one of those common dishes served not only in Indian restaurants but is also made in many homes. There are 2 ways to make matar mushroom. It can be made to a gravy or dry curry.
In this recipe, mushrooms are slowed cooked in their own moisture hence the curry tastes very delicious and aromatic. These easy and quick matar mushrooms can be made in just under 25 minutes.
Matar and mushrooms are both very nutritious and flavourful ingredients, plus when you cook them with a luscious onion tomato masala, and powdered spices great taste is guaranteed. The addition of cashew paste gives it a slight nutty creamy sweetness which is.
If you love mushrooms then you must try this recipe. Matar mushroom is the most basic curry that is prepared in Indian cuisine. If you want to taste the awesomeness of this dish, prepared it at home with white button mushrooms and an amalgamation of spices along with green peas.
It can also be made for special occasions like birthday, anniversaries, and kitty parties. Make it at home and enjoy it with your family.
FAQs On Matar Mushroom
Yes, Mushroom gives fiber and protein, that’s why it is beneficial for weight loss. Mushroom have high level of vitamins including vitamin D.
Mushrooms are full of antioxidants, that’s why it is recommended to eat at least 35-50 grams of button mushroom everyday.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing this recipe below.
Matar MushroomCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Matar Mushroom, a creamy and spicy curry or North Indian gravy recipe prepared mainly with green peas and mushrooms.
Mushroom- 250 gms
Green peas- 100 gms
Chopped onion- 1 large
Ginger- 1 inch
Garlic- 7 – 8 cloves
Cashews- 10 – 12 nos
Chopped tomato- 1 large
Cinnamon- 1 small pc
Cloves- 2 nos
Bay leaf- 1 no
Black pepper- 7 – 8 nos
Oil as need
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Kashmiri red mirch powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Curry powder- 1 tbsp
Dried kasoori methi- 1. tbsp
Salt as per taste
- First wash the mushrooms cleanly and cut them half in size and keep it on a plate.
- Then heat oil in a kadhai on medium flame. When oil becomes hot, add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and saute it till spices turn aromatic.
- After that add chopped onion, ginger, garlic, and chopped tomatoes into the Kadhai and fry tomatoes will be cook properly. After that add cashews into it add fry it for some seconds.
- Then heat the same kadhai, add oil into it an d when oil becomes hot, add the paste into it and fry it.
- Now add turmeric powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, coriander powder, curry powder into the kadhai and fry it till oil separates from the masala.
- Then add green peas into the kadhai and fry it for 1 minute.
- Then add cut mushrooms into the kadhai and fry it for 5 minute.
- After done switch off the flame and add kasoori methi, Cream, and garam masala on the top.
- Finally, matar mushroom is ready to serve hot. Enjoy with naan, roti or kulcha.