Mattar paneer is one of the popular and easy paneer recipes in all North Indian paneer recipes. Basically, paneer (Indian Cottage Cheese) and mattar (Peas) are cooked in onion and tomato-based gravy. It can be a good side dish at any party or even a weekend lunch.
This mattar paneer is easy to make with available ingredients at home. This recipe is a vegetarian North Indian dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato-based sauce, spiced with garam masala. It is served with rice and Indian type of bread(naan, paratha, poori or roti).
If you are from Odisha or West Bengal you can add potato also in mattar paneer. It is one of India’s most popular paneer dishes. In most Indian homes, it is made during winters when fresh peas are in season. However, it can also be made with frozen peas anytime around the year.
I usually make mattar paneer with onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and cashews blended together. It is a super quick recipe and is great to make when you are in hurry.
If you want to make no onion garlic, then you can make a paste using tomato, cashews, watermelon seeds, ginger, cumin seeds, and coconut puree, and trust me the taste is awesome. My son is a paneer lover. He likes to have paneer as a starter as well as the main course. He just loves all the paneer dishes of mine.
If fresh mattar is not available at home then you can use frozen mattar. I also use frozen mattar many times. Both the mattar will have come to the same taste. If you are using fresh mattar then make sure to boil for 5 – 12 minutes in water. You can extend this recipe by adding cooking cream to make it more creamy.
So, you just try this delicious creamy mattar paneer recipe at home and share your experience with me. I am sharing the recipe below.
Matar Paneer(without onion and garlic)Course: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Mattar paneer is one of the popular and easy paneer recipes in all North India. Well i made it without onion and garlic, follow the recipe.
Matar(green peas)- 100 gms
Paneer cubes- 200 gms
Chopped tomato- 3 large
Ginger- 1 inch
Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
Cashews- 15 – 16 nos
Watermelon seeds- 1 tbsp
Coconut puree(readymade)- 1/2 cup
Refined oil- 5 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tbsp
Curry powder- 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder- 1 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tsp
Cumin powder- 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
- First take a grinding jar, add chopped tomatoes, ginger, cumin seeds, cashews, watermelon seeds and add little water into it, then make it a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a kadhai, after oil becomes hot, add the grinded paste into it.
- Then fry it for 5 minutes.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, curry powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and cumin powder into the masala and mix well.
- Then fry the masala till oil separates from masala.
- Now add the green peas into the masala and add the coconut puree into it and fry it for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Then add the paneer cubes and add salt as per taste into it and fry it for 2 – 3 minutes more.
- Then add some water into it and cover the lid and cook it on medium flame for 7 – 8 minutes.
- Now switch off the flame, matar paneer is ready to serve hot with chapathi or jeera rice.