Mutton dum biriyani recipe is a biriyani recipe that is packed with flavours of the caramelized onions and spices. In this biriyani, the mutton is cooked and then layered with half-cooked basmati rice, caramelized onions, and fresh mint leaves.
A must-try recipe that can be served for weekends and special dinners and parties. It is a hearty dish that is made during festivals like Eid and or when there are special occasions in the family. The dum cooking technique which we have used in this recipe brings in the deep flavours from the mutton masala to get combined with the Basmati rice.
Mutton biriyani is an Indian famous biriyani recipe, which is a perfect fusion taste and aroma. This easy non-vegetarian biriyani recipe is prepared with rice and boiled mutton with whole spices and ground spices like shahi biriyani masala powder, meat masala powder.
Mutton dum biriyani recipe is a different variation of mutton biriyani where the mutton is dum cooked and is almost similar to Hyderabad biriyani. The dum biriyani here is kachhi yakhni style of making biriyani which does not require a long time to marinate. It can be quickly made with a short marination time using a meat tenderizer.
The recipe follows a method of adding marinated mutton at the base of a cookpot and over the mutton, a layer of half-cooked rice is added and the whole set up is placed for dum that is cooked inside steam. Biriyani is all about spices and flavoured and a mix of many ingredients. Biriyani making appears to be a long process but I feel making biriyani is the easiest and simple once we get hold of the technique in making it.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing this recipe below.
Mutton Dum Biriyani RecipeCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Mutton dum biriyani recipe is a biriyani recipe that is packed with flavours of the caramelized onions and spices. A must-try recipe that can be served for weekends and special dinners and parties.
Sliced onion- 8 nos
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
- For the rice
Basmati rice- 500 gms
Bay leaves- 2 nos
Cardamom – 2 no
Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
Black cardamom- 1 no
Ghee- 1 tbsp
Mint leaves few
Star anise- 4 nos
Salt to taste
- Ingredients to marinate mutton
Mutton- 500 gms
Curd- 300 gms
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Biriyani masala powder- 2 tbsp
Meat masala- 1 tbsp
Chopped mint leaves few
Chopped coriander leaves few
Fried onion- 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Other ingredients
Almonds cashews few
Food colour- its optional
Ghee as need
Oil as need
- To making mutton dum biriyani recipe, first we will make a paste of the ginger and garlic.
- Into a mixer jar, add the chopped ginger and garlic, and blend to make a fine paste and keep aside.
- Then in a pressure cooker, add mutton, turmeric powder and some salt and add some water, boil it till one whistle comes. Then keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and saute some dry fruits into it and keep aside.
- Next, heat oil in a pan, add sliced onions. Saute the onions on low to medium eat until caramelized. This process takes time so be patient so as to get the perfect golden brown caramelized onions. Fried onions are ready, keep aside.
- The next step is to marinate the mutton for the mutton dum biriyani.
- Wash mutton thoroughly. Add the washed mutton into a mixing bowl and add curd, ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, meat masala powder, biriyani masala powder, chopped mint leaves, and chopped coriander leaves, ghee, and salt to taste into it. Mix it properly, cover and place the mutton in the fridge and marinate it for one hour.
- The next step is to cook the rice until it is 3/4 done.
- In a dish add water, when water becomes hot then add bay leaf, cardamom, cinnamon stick, star anise, black cardamom, mint leaves, salt to taste and the washed basmati rice. Then add 1 tbsp ghee on the top and allow the rice to boil in the water for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Cook the rice until 3/4th done. Once done drain the water from the rice, cover and keep aside.
- Now heat ghee in a kadhai, then add the marinated mutton into them and fry it for sometime. Then after that add some water and cover the lid. Reduce the heat and simmer and cook mutton for 20 minutes until the mutton is cooked and the gravy becomes thick. Now keep aside.
- To make it dum, take a aluminum vessel, make it hot, add some ghee then add cooked mutton, then spread cooked rice evenly over the gravy. Then spread some chopped mint and chopped coriander leaves, fried onions, pinch of food colour and some fried almond and fried cashews on the top. Turn the heat low. Cover the pan and seal the lid.
- First cook it for 5 minutes on medium flame, then heat a tawa and keep the vessel on the top and cook it on low flame for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, allow the mutton dum biriyani to rest for 10 minutes before opening the pot.
- Then open the pot and mix the mutton dum biriyani gently and transfer into a serving bowl.
- Service the mutton dum biriyani along with cucumber and onion raita.