Rice Kheer is the most common and authentic dessert in every Odia households that grew up eating on regular basis. Whenever there would be any birthday, anniversary like occasion or festivals, the first thing comes to our mind for dessert is kheer. The special creamy aromatic rice kheer is flavored with freshly grounded green cardamom powder and dry nuts. In Odisha it is also known as khiri.
Rice kheer is one of the main sweet Prasad (Abhada) in Puri Jagannath temple. Making kheer is really easy only the concern is time, it takes lots of time, the more you cook, the better the taste. It tastes awesome when full hot or fully chilled. Made of basmati rice and combination of milk, milkmaid and few other items it gives a nice flavor and taste to the sweet lovers. It can be enjoyed with poori or as a side dish in a meal.
In this recipe you always use high fat milk, so that kheer will be thicken. Always use new rice, basmati rice or small in size and flavorful, it gives a nice flavor to the kheer and cooked faster. In this recipe I have used Govindo bhog rice and it’s very flavorful. I have added condensed milk to give extra flavor, and I have reduced the sugar quantity also.
Rice Kheer has so many forms. It’s probably one of the most versatile desserts there is. You can easily switch the rice for vermicelli, broken wheat, tapioca pearls (sabudana) and even lentils. In south, it’s also called payasam and is made with coconut milk and jaggery which also makes kheer vegan.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing this recipe below.
Rice Kheer Recipe
Course: DessertCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Rice Kheer is the most common and authentic dessert in every Odia households that grew up eating on regular basis. Whenever there would be any birthday, anniversary like occasion or festivals, the first thing comes to our mind for dessert is kheer.
Basmati rice- 1 cup
Sugar- 2/3 cup
Milk- 1.5 ltr
Warm water- 2 cups
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cashew nuts- 100 gm
Almonds- 50 gm
Raisin- 50 gm
Cardamom powder- 1 tsp
Clove- 3 nos
Bay leaf- 1
Salt to taste
How to make rice kheer
- First wash and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the rice again and set aside.
- Now heat a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame, then add ghee.
- When ghee will become hot, fry all the dry fruits one by one and keep aside.
- After that add sugar to do caramel. Then add cloves an d bay leaf into it. When sugar will be reddish colour then pour the milk into it and some warm water into it also.
- Now let the milk boil. After that add drained and rinsed rice into it.
- Let’s start boil, once boil will start then simmer the flame and stir continuously.
- Then add condensed milk and mix well.
- Now add sugar, salt as need and cardamom powder and stir frequently till the milk thickens and rice gets cooked and homogenises slightly in the milk.
- After done switch off the flame.
- At last for garnishing add raisins, cashews and chopped almonds on the top.
- Cool slightly before serving or if you prefer, refrigerate for few hours and serve it chilled.
If you like this dessert then try Moong dal halwa recipe here.