Veg momos (Dim Sum) recipe is one of the most requested among the Indian Chinese food recipe. This recipe is a tantalizing, traditional food of Tibet. Veg momos or dim sum are steamed dumplings stuffed with a lightly spiced vegetable filling.
It is a Tibetan recipe and also a popular North Indian street food. It’s also famous in Bhutan and Nepal also. This healthy veg steamed momo is very easy to prepare with refined flour and some veggies. It is served with red chili chutney. It is a simple and healthy snack recipe inherited from traditional Nepali cuisine.
History and Types Of Momos
India has generously embraced many of is neighboring countries recipes in its cuisine. Especially in urban location, these recipes has been accepted as popular evening street food snacks.
One such hugely popular street food snacks are the momos recipe which can be done with countless stuffing. These cute culinary beauties are equally popular in south India also.
Walk down to most popular street hawkers selling Indian Chinese food, you are sure to find a variety of momos on their menu list.
You will find a variety of momos with different fillings both vegetarian and meat based, different folding techniques, steamed or deep fried, at Indian Chinese food stalls manned by street hawkers especially in north Eastern states.
If you are yet to try veg momos recipe at least once as you are sure to get mesmerized by a burst of flavors and textures in each bite. These minimally flavored veg momos with red chutney make for a light yet satisfying dinner.
Basically momos are not spicy, the chutney which is served with momos is spicy. well I have the complete recipe of the red chutney, you must try this chutney.
I love to make momos at home as it’s an easy peasy process. I make veg momos from scratch by making the momo dough, preparation of vegetable filling, shaping and steaming.
Some FAQs On Momos
Basically momos are native to Southwest Chinese region of Tibet as well as Bhutan, and some part of East Indian region of Darjeeling.
There are various types of momos Steamed Momo, Kothey Momo, Chilly Momo, Fried and Steam-fried Momo, Jhol Momo, Open Momo, Tandoori Momo, Green Momo, Buckwheat Momo, Cheese Momo, Fish Momo, Dhapu Momo
If you are a diabetic patient or on a weight loss diet, then Yes, this recipe is good for you. Whole wheat flour is used to make momos, excellent for diabetics and helps in weight loss.
You have to place them on lightly oiled trays and then place in the freezer. Once they are frozen, then keep it in a zip lock freezer bags.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am sharing the recipe below.
Veg Momos RecipeCourse: SnacksCuisine: Indian, TibetanDifficulty: Medium
Veg momos (Dim Sum) recipe is one of the most requested among Indian Chinese food recipe. Veg momos are a tantalizing, traditional food of Tibet.
- For dough
All purpose flour(maida)- 1 1/2 cup
Salt as required
Cooking oil- 1 tbsp
Water as need
- For stuffing
Grated cabbage- 100gm
Grated carrot- 1
Green chilli- 2 nos
Garlic chopped- 5 nos
Onion finely chopped- 1 large
Salt to taste
Black pepper- 1 tsp
Soya sauce- 1 tsp
Oil- 2 tbsp
How to make veg momos or dim sum
- For dough making
- Take a large bowl, add all purpose flour, salt as per need, oil. Mix it properly.
- Then add some water in parts and begin to knead to firm dough. Do not make the dough soft as then it becomes difficult to shape the dumplings. So the dough is ready, keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- For veggies stuffing
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil becomes hot add finely chopped garlic and saute it for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Then add all the finely chopped vegetables. Stir fry the vegetables on a medium flame. Then add soya sauce and black pepper and salt as per taste.
- Now continue to stir fry on a medium to high flame for 2 to 3 minutes more. Now switch off the flame and let it be cool.
- Shaping momos
- Divide the dough in two parts. Make same inches log from each part. Cut the log into equal slices.
- Take each dough ball and on a lightly dusted board. Roll each dough ball into a thin circle of about 3 to 4 inches diameter.
- The edges have to be thin and the center has to be thick.
- Now place 2 tsp of vegetable stuffing in the center. Lift one side of the edge and start pleating. Begin to pleat the momos then join all the pleats in the center. Now momos shapes are ready to steam.
- For steam
- Grease the idli mould with some oil. Place them in the mould and steam it for 10 to 12 minutes. After 10 minutes switch off the flame. Veg momos are ready. Serve veg hot momos with red chilli garlic chutney.
- They also go best with a spicy chutney and should be eaten hot.
- For the stuffing you could use your favorite veggies.
- While steaming do keep some space between the momos.
- Do not add more water and make the dough soft.