Tandoori chicken is a dish popular in South Asia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia consisting of roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices. The name comes from the type of cylindrical clay oven, a tandoor, in which the dish is traditionally prepared.
The chicken is marinated in yogurt and seasoned with the spice mixture of tandoori masala, pepper, red chili powder is used to give it a fiery red look. It can be cooked at high temperature in an oven or also can be cooked on a traditional barbecue grill. The name itself is enough to make an Indian chicken lover drool.
The perfectly roasted flavourful chicken is marinated in Indian spices. It’s a perfect party starter. You can prepare this finger-licking starter using the basic ingredients.
Most of us order tandoori chicken from restaurants thinking it’s healthy because it is grilled. But actually, they add an. insane amount of oil at the time of marination which makes it quite unhealthy.
Therefore, it’s always good to prepare it at home and you can have full control of what goes on in it. So, plan and prepare this yum tandoori chicken at home. If you’ve ever wondered how to make whole chicken tandoori at home, you’ve landed at the right place.
However, for many years, we only made the tandoori drumsticks or legs as it was quick and easy and really really yummy. But my husband wanted us to try making whole roast tandoori chicken at home by roasting the full tandoori chicken in the oven.
This dish will make for a great replacement for turkey and can be the star of your holiday or new year party. It is best served with coriander mint yogurt chutney, some lemon wedges, and raw onion rings on the side.
So, you just try this recipe at your home and share your experience with me. I am going to share this recipe below.
Whole Chicken TandooriCourse: AppetizersCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Medium
Tandoori chicken is a dish popular in South Asia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia consisting of roasted chicken prepared with yogurt and spices.
Whole chicken- 1 kg
Salt as per taste
Ginger garlic paste- 2 tbsp
Hung curd-1/2 cup
Kashmiri red chilli powder- 2 tbsp
Chicken tandoori masala- 2 tbsp
Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
Cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
Black pepper powder- 1/2 tsp
Kasoori methi-1 tbsp
Chat masala- 1/2 tsp
Red food colour- a pinch of (it’s optional)
Oil- 1 tbsp
- First cut the whole chicken in between, wash the chicken properly. For the recipe, we make 2 different marinades. The first one to tenderize the chicken, the second one is the tandoori masala marinade to spice the chicken.
- For the first marinate, you need to mix together lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, and salt and let the chicken sit in this mix for 20minutes.
- For the second marination, you need tomix together hung curd, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, tandoori masala powder, chaat masala, turmeric powder, black pepper, kasoori methi, and red food color in a bowl and make a smooth paste.
- Apply this tandoori masala marinate all over the chicken and add hot mustard oil into the chicken. Then set it aside in the fridge for about overnight or 8 hours at least.
- Once you have let the chicken marinate well, take out of the fridge and set it outside for 30 mins before you put it in the oven.
- Now fix the chicken in the rotisserie. Then grill it for 30 mins. Take it out and brush some oil all over and again grill it for 15 mins or till the chicken gets roasted.
- Serve hot with your favourite salad, lemon wedges or pudina chutney.